Halloween Safety Tips
Trick or Treat hours for October 31 are 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Typically, Trick-or-Treat times in the City of Mattoon are from 6:00 until 8:00 p.m. on the evening of Halloween. However, the mayor declares the official date and time each year to allow for the moving of the activity for safety or other concerns.
The Mattoon Police Department wants to wish everyone a safe and fun night. We encourage everyone to take a few moments and review the following safety tips, especially with your children.
Trick or Treat Safety Tips
- Stay in your own or a familiar neighborhood
- Bring a flashlight or glow stick
- Stop only at houses with their lights on
- Don’t go into strangers’ homes for any reason
- Make sure your costume doesn’t drag on the ground
- Carry only flexible knives, swords, or other props
- Feed your children before heading out
- Accompany your children
- Inspect your child’s candy
- Plan the route ahead of time
- When driving, watch for children darting between cars
- Take a cellular phone or walkie-talkies
- Avoid taking shortcuts in alleys and stay in well lit areas
- If your child’s costume is common (super hero character etc..) mark it with a colored tape or have your child wear a bracelet so you can identify your child
- Don’t drink and drive
- Use caution when backing and entering into a driveway
- Drive slowly down residential streets
- Keep pets away from children
- Use a glow stick instead of candles on your front porch
- Remove obstacles from your front yard, and clear a pathway for trick-or-treaters to get to your front door
- Call the Mattoon Police Department at 217-235-5451 if you observe any suspicious activity.