The Public Works Department is responsible for: streets, public right-of-ways, lakes, buildings and grounds, water treatment, water distribution, wastewater collection, wastewater treatment, storm water collection, and storm water detention. The Public Works Department operates the Railroad Depot and the Yard Waste Facility. The Public Works Department performs Engineering Review and Approval of Subdivisions, and Commercial and Industrial Developments.
For Water Billing questions, please contact the Finance Department at 217-235-5483.
To initiate a subdivision or development request, please contact the Community Development Department (Planning, Zoning, Building Inspection) at 217-234-7367.
Public Works Director/City Engineer: Dean Barber, P.E.
Engineering Technician: Dan McClain, 217-259-6829
Engineering Technician: Ethan Ervin, 217-294-0360
208 North 19th Street, Mattoon, IL 61938
24-Hour Emergency Number: 217-234-2454
The Engineering Department is responsible for:
- Administration and coordination for the various departments in public works
- Planning, funding, design, and construction of public improvement projects
- Engineering review and approval of residential subdivisions, commercial developments, and industrial developments
Superintendent: Kevin Hamilton
Asst. Supt: Alex Fuqua
401 Dewitt Ave East, Mattoon, IL 61938
Phone: 217-235-5171 (please leave message)
Mon – Fri, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
After Hour Emergency Number: 217-234-2454
The Street/Utility Department within Public Works is responsible for:
- Streets, alleys, sidewalks, and public right-of-ways
- Street lighting, street signs, and traffic signals
- Tree trimming and the yard waste facility
- Water mains, storm sewers, and sanitary sewers
- Street sweeping, snow plowing, and mowing
The Street/Utility Department administers a cost sharing program for sidewalks, driveway approaches, and curb & gutter replacements. For more information, please call 217-235-5171.
The Street/Utility Department operates the yard waste facility at Logan Street and Shelby Avenue.
The Street/Utility Department maintains the trees in the public right-of-ways.
For information regarding the yard waste facility please call 217-235-5171 or visit the yard waste page.