Cost Sharing Policy and Procedures
City of Mattoon Cost Sharing Policy for the Repair and/or Replacement of City Owned Concrete Curb and Gutter, Sidewalk, and Driveway Approaches
The City of Mattoon receives numerous requests to replace the existing curb and gutter at specific residences or businesses. The purpose of this policy is to establish a means by which the City could provide a cost sharing program for curb and gutter repairs and/or replacements performed by individual property owners. This program would be similar to the existing cost sharing program for sidewalk repairs and/or replacements performed by individual property owners.
This program would apply to the repair and/or replacement of existing curbs, gutters, and combination curb & gutters along City Streets and Alleys. Curbs and/or gutters must be located on City right-of-way to be eligible.
Construction must comply with current IDOT Standards for curbs, gutters, and combination curb and gutters. The IDOT Standards to be followed will be specified by the City. 4″ of compacted CA-06 subbase is to be provided under the items to be constructed.
Construction must be completed by approved concrete contractors. Property owners may be approved to complete the work themselves provided they are able to demonstrate the proper experience and access to sufficient tools and equipment.
The City will pay for the cost of the concrete and the aggregate subbase if the property owner agrees to furnish the labor, equipment, forms, backfill, and all other items necessary to complete the work.
- The property owner, or their contractor of choice, shall complete an application to replace City sidewalks, curb and gutter, and driveway approaches on the city’s rights of way. The application must be approved by the Public Works Dept. and a City of Mattoon Street/Boulevard permit obtained prior to the start of any work. Applications for cost sharing are available at the Public Works Dept., 221 N 12th. Or you can fill out and print the online application.
- A representative from the City will review the eligible portions of the work with the property owner and their contractor.
- Either before or after work is complete, the City shall measure the area of replaced sidewalk, curb and gutter, and driveway approaches on the city’s rights of way.
- The measured quantity shall be based on depths of four inches ( 4″) for sidewalks, six inches ( 6″) for sidewalks across the width of driveways, ten inches (1 O”) for curb and gutter, and six inches (6″) for driveway approaches on the city’s rights of way.
- The width of sidewalks shall be the same as what currently exists, unless the City deems it is reasonable or beneficial, to reduce or increase the width.
- The business arrangement for the supply of concrete is between the concrete supplier and the contractor. Therefore, the invoice for concrete from the supplier is the responsibility of the contractor.
- The contractor may submit an invoice to the City for reimbursement for the cost of concrete used to replace sidewalk, curb and gutter, and driveway approaches on City right-of-way.
- Based on the measured quantity, the City shall reimburse the contractor for concrete at ninety-two dollars ($92.00) per cubic yard.
- The City of Mattoon, concrete suppliers and contractors, all benefit from this concrete cost share program. The City will not participate in driveways replacements beyond the sidewalk, and will not allow cost sharing for the driveway approach on City right-of-way without sidewalk, curb and gutter replacement, adjacent to the property, as the City of Mattoon deems necessary
The City will inspect the work during and after construction. Reimbursement will be made only after the work has been completed to the satisfaction of the City.
Any damage to the pavement and/or boulevard shall be repaired at no cost to the City by the contractor or homeowner performing the work before any reimbursement is made.
The program does not apply to new construction such as residential, commercial, or industrial development. This program does not apply to driveways, or curbs and/or gutters attached to driveways. This program does not apply to curbs and/or gutters located on private property.
This program is intended to apply to “elective” repairs of existing facilities for aesthetic reasons. The City will continue to make repairs and/or replacements of exiting curbs and/or gutters at no cost to the adjacent property owners when the work is part of a City roadway, sidewalk, drainage, or utility project. The City will continue to make repairs of existing facilities at no cost to the adjacent property owners when the repairs are intended to remediate a safety hazard for the general public. The decision of whether a repair and/or replacement qualifies as a safety hazard or an aesthetic improvement rests solely with the City.
New curb and/or gutter construction at an existing residence, business, or industry, without existing curb and gutters, will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
Any questions or concerns can be directed to the Public Works Street Dept., 221 N 12th. 217-235-5171
Public Works Department Contact Information
Public Works Director / Engineering Department
Director: Dean Barber, P.E.
Street / Utility Department
401 Dewitt Avenue East
Superintendent: Kevin Hamilton
Asst. Supt.: Alex Fuqua
Water Treatment Plant
Superintendent: David Basham
Wastewater Treatment Plant
Superintendent: Ethan Ervin
24-Hour Emergency Number: